Friday 28th April
There was a large crowd in attendance for this historic moment for Willum Warrain, including the following dignatories:-
- Uncle Chris West, a Traditional Owner from the Bunurong Land Council
- Greg Hunt, local MHR and the Federal Minister for Health and Sport
- Stephanie Exton, CEO of the George Hicks Foundation
- Bev Colomb, Mayor of Mornington Peninsula Shire
- Councillors Kate Roper, Antonella Celi, Sam Hearn
This statue was commissioned by Willum Warrain with the generous support of the George Hicks Foundation.
This impressive work was created by local Somers sculptor, Paul Mutimer.
This Bunjil statue is an important statement at the entrance to our gathering place.
We also acknowledge that Bunjil offers guidance and direction to all of us who live on Bunurong/ Boon Wurrung lands.
He protects our children and makes us all feel safe.
We often have a pair of wedge-tailed eagles circling above Willum Warrain.
For Aboriginal people, whenever we see our totems, our hearts sing and our spirits soar.
This statue will be a source of enduring pride into the future.
Our children will see Bunjil every time they come to the Gathering Place.